Media Relations reaches audiences beyond UBCO through media releases, event advisories and expert Q and A’s. We tell stories about our university community that are meaningful and matter— this is the motivation behind all of our efforts.
We work with local, regional, and national print and broadcast media to ensure that the university’s views on significant issues and challenges are well understood by everyone. Our researchers also provide expert perspective and context on breaking news and current events.
Services for Media
A searchable database to help reporters locate UBC experts.
Please note: not all UBC experts are listed in this database – for experts not listed (including Okanagan campus experts) please contact the Media Relations team.
Subscribe to UBC Public Affairs electronic news services
Want to keep track of UBC in the news? UBC Public Affairs offers several electronic news services available in a variety of formats. Subscribe to the free UBC Public Affairs news digests. Daily and weekly digests are available in several formats.
Services for Faculty
Media training for researchers
Working with journalists and editors in order to provide quick and easy access to information, our aim is to help journalists connect with the most informed and relevant academic and administrative sources from UBC’s Okanagan campus.
Media exposure: what’s in it for UBC researchers?
- Maximizes publicity of researcher
- Increases the profile of researcher’s area of study
- Build researcher’s personal reputation
- Offers accountability to donors and supporters
What makes research news?
- Why should I care? How does the research relate to the person on the street?
- Conflict? e.g. research that reverses earlier theories
- Progress – research advances, study launches, state-of-the-art equipment
- First of its kind / benchmarks
- Proximity – news that affects local people
- Trends – research uncovers new direction
- Consequences – e.g. sun exposure causes skin cancer
- Quirky – e.g. new star looks like Elvis
To learn more or to utilize this service, contact the Media Relations team.