The Exchange is a twice-monthly newsletter distributed to faculty and staff on the first and third Wednesday of each month.
Content is driven by campus community members, sharing university news and key messages, while also promoting social and academic activities at UBCO.
The submission deadline for all content is the preceding Friday. Late submissions may be included in the next issue, at the editor’s discretion.
|Submission Deadline||Publication Date|
|August 12||August 17|
|September 2||September 7|
|September 16||September 21|
How to submit
Submissions to The Exchange can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit content in the body of the email or in an attached Word file. Avoid PDF, Powerpoint, or other file attachments.
Don’t forget to include:
- A clear and appealing headline
- A short blurb about your topic (50 words maximum)
- A clear call to action (e.g. “Learn more” or “Register now”)
- (Optional) A high-quality image (.jpg or .png) at 450 pixels wide, preferably in landscape orientation
Follow the UBC brand guidelines for any submission.
Disclaimer: University Relations reserves the right to exclude submissions determined to fall outside of the newsletter’s mandate.
- Please keep submissions to a maximum of 50 words. University Relations reserve the right to edit content for length or clarity. If applicable, please include the link to where the content is hosted on a UBC website. Be sure to submit the accurate URL and ensure the referenced webpage is up-to-date.
- Newsletter content should follow the Editorial guide for UBC Communicators.
- We do not include attachments (other than images) as part of the newsletter.
- Submissions do not run in multiple issues unless new, relevant information is provided. A shortened reminder is acceptable but not recommended if new information can’t be provided.
Who can submit
The following groups can submit articles to The Exchange:
- UBCO faculties and academic units
- UBC administrative units
- Other groups with messaging relevant to the broad employee audience, at the editor’s discretion
Examples of appropriate content
- University-wide news/information; for example, executive announcements/messages (from the president, provost, etc.).
- Notices regarding events, workshops, and services affecting faculty or staff
- Event announcements (service projects, fundraisers, social events) open to the entire university community
- Promotion of university services and programs
- Volunteer opportunities
- Guest speakers
- Research opportunities
Examples of inappropriate content
- Lectures, seminars or events that are by invitation only
- Appearances by faculty, staff, or students at other institutions outside UBC
- Administrative or other meetings among a group of faculty or staff that are closed to others
- Hiring announcements or farewell messages for staff leaving the university. Senior-level appointments and changes are communicated as a Global or Admin News message.
- Third-party promotion of programs or services with no UBC affiliation
- Announcements that include images for which permission has not been obtained (copyright images, images of individuals who have not signed a photo release form
- Content that is confusing, unclear, has spelling or grammatical errors, or fails to meet UBC quality standards
Including an image can make your submission more engaging.
- Please submit images in a separate .jpg or .png file in RGB format. Images should be 450 pixels wide in landscape orientation (image height can vary).
- An image is not essential; images that are of poor quality will not be used.
- We will not use images for which permission has not been obtained (copyright images, images of individuals who have not signed a photo release form).